March Wrap-Up: What I Read in March 2021

 


Hello everyone! I hope everyone is having a great spring so far. I'm so thankful the weather is finally getting warmer! I feel a total change in my mood whenever the weather outside starts to get warmer. 

Today I wanted to show you guys what books I've been reading. Lately, I've been reading a ton. I've watched a ton of book videos on YouTube, and thankfully got a ton of recommendations. I'm going to show you what books I read during the month of March.

If you enjoy my book reviews, you should check out my GoodReads! 

Ok, let's go!


1. Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

I overall really enjoyed this book. If you haven't heard of this book (which if you haven't, unfortunately you've been living under a rock. Sorry not sorry!), it takes place during the 1980's. Elio is spending the summer with his family in a villa in Italy, when he meets Oliver, a doctorial student who is interning for his father. The book describes the events of their romance throughout the summer. I thought the writing was extremely well executed, and the imagery was beautiful. The main reason why I read this book was to follow up with the movie, because I truly enjoy Timothée Chalamet and his acting. My final consensus: the movie doesn't even compare to the movie. The movie, in my opinion, had no plot. I felt like I was just watching everybody kiss each other for 2 hours. I had to turn it off around an hour in, because I was so bored. Although not my favorite read of the month, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

2. What Would Frida Do? by Arianna Davis

This book is about the amazing life of the Mexican artist Frida Kahlo, and how you can implement aspects of her life into your own. This book was interesting, and I learned a lot about Kahlo. I always admired her work, and I loved learning about her life outside of her paintings. Davis pinpoints some specific works of Kahlo, and explains what parts of her life inspired her paintings. Although I though the self-help sections of the book were somewhat bland, overall this was a quick and easy read.

3. Watch Over Me by Nina LaCour

Nina LaCour is one of my favorite authors. Her book, We Are Okay, is probably one of my favorite books (I finished it in three days, which is the fastest I've ever finished a book!) This book is more on the fantasy side; it's a modern ghost story about an orphan named Mila, who has finally graduated out of the foster care system. She's offered a teaching job at an isolated schoolhouse, and meets ghosts that remind her of her past. One of the things I love about LaCour's writing is that her character's development unravels throughout the story, you don't learn everything about the character in one chapter. I loved the entire story, and as someone who wants to become a teacher, I feel in love with Mila and her relationship with the young student she meets. 

4. Clap When You Land by Elizabeth Acevedo

OH. MY. GOD. I was grappled by this book; it's gripping emotion, it's poetic writing, everything about this book had me in tears from beginning to end. It's about two girls: Camino, who lives in the Dominican Republic, and Yahaira, who lives in New York. They are crestfallen at the news that their father, and their hero, has died in a plane crash. They struggle to adjust with their grief and their new life, until they earn of each other. If that plot line doesn't entice you, then you are not human (again, sorry not sorry!) I can not recommend this book enough.

5. A Very Punchable Face: A Memoir by Colin Jost

Ok, so technically I haven't finished this book yet. But I love it so much I couldn't wait to talk about it! If you couldn't tell by my last blog post, I love Saturday Night Live, and Colin Jost is one of my favorite cast members. I usually don't turn to memoirs unless the author has been through a struggling challenge, or has persevered in someway. Otherwise I find them quite boring. But, this memoir is definitely an exception. Jost is funny and witty in his writing, and his stories are enthralling. He can also change his tone to serious, for example when he is telling how his mother served during the 9/11 attack. I've been loving every second of this book, and it's definitely one that needs to be paired with the audiobook in my opinion. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a funny read, wants to become a comedian in their future, is a fan of SNL, or all of the above!








Comments

Popular Posts