My 2020 Movie Watches Ranked

 


Hello there!

Well, firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Bridget! I love to watch movies, TV shows, and read books. I'm always talking about them, with my friends and family. I have a Letterboxd and a GoodReads, so I thought, why not combine the two and make a blog!

My blog's name is a combination of two of my favorites movies, JoJo Rabbit and Lady Bird. My all-time favorite movie is Rocketman. Some books I enjoy reading are A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli, and We Are Okay by Nina LaCour.

Alright, well that's that. Let's get into my first blog post. I watched a lot of movies throughout 2020, especially because of quarantine, and I've been keeping a list. So I decided to rank all of the movies that came out during 2020 that I watched, and which ones were my favorite. I'm going to rank them from least favorite to absolute favorite, to drag out the suspense. Without further ado, here is my 2020 Movies Ranked List!

19. To All The Boys: P.S. I Still Love You, dir. Michael Fimognari

This movie was a rough one for me. The only sole reason I watched it was because one of my favorite actors, Jordan Fisher (with whom I was disappointed he stooped so low and was associated with this monstrosity), played John-Ambrose McClaren. And the fact that Lana turned him down for Peter, which was a total jerk? Nuh-uh. The books are really good, I have read them and enjoyed them. I'm disappointed they were not executed as well through these films. 

18. The Half of It, dir. Alice Wu

This movie, to me, was just meh. I really wanted to enjoy it, and I was appreciative of the Asian and LGBTQ+ representation in young adult media. But, it was one of those scenarios where I wanted to feel something but didn't. The idea of it was cute, it just wasn't executed to the emotional level I was expecting it to. But I did enjoy the color palette, and it was entertaining visually.

17. Sonic the Hedgehog, dir. Jeff Fowler

My sister wanted to watch this with her friends, so I went too, just for kicks and giggles. And it actually wasn't as bad as I thought? It was funny and entertaining. I didn't know much about Sonic, the only extent of video games I play is Mario Kart (which better be made into a movie. I don't care if it's 2 hours of them racing in circles, I need it to happen.) This movie explained Sonic's background clear enough for new fans, but not to the extent where old fans become bored. Remember that phase in the beginning of quarantine where we all thought this was the only movie that was going to be nominated for an Oscar?

16. Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions, dir. Taylor Swift

I don't know if this counts as a movie or not, but it was 106 minutes of my life I'm never getting back. I don't know if it is just because I'm not a Taylor Swift fan, or the fact that she played every single song on the album, but it just felt it was never going to end. However, I will say that her input and commentary on each song was insightful.

15. Emma, dir. Autumn die Wilde

Was not particularly a fan! I thought the plot was very boring, and I didn't really connect with the characters, or feel like they were developed very thoroughly. Better than some that I've seen, however. The captivating beauty of the sets and costumes as well as the color palette is what kept me watching. 

14. Wonder Woman 1984, dir. Patty Jenkins

I was definitely expecting this to blow me out of the water. The posters were beautiful, and anything that takes place during the 1980s is amazing in itself. But, I thought the plot was silly, and the movie was wayyyy too long. I think the characters that needed to be developed weren't, and the characters that didn't need to be developed were. I'm still so confused about where that magic stone came from!

13. Enola Holmes, dir. Harry Bradbeer

This movie was in a weird medium where I felt like it was too juvenile for my taste, but I would think that younger viewers would have trouble following. It had a very small target audience. However, it had a lot of emotion, and I think Millie Bobby Brown is an excellent actress!

12. Unpregnant, dir. Rachel Goldenberg

This was a really funny, lighthearted comedy! Haley and Barbie had really great chemistry. I loved  how it covered a lot of modern-day issues and topics!

11. Phineas and Ferb The Movie: Candace Against the Universe, dir. Bob Bowen

This movie was a laugh that I needed during quarantine. It brought back a lot of great, funny memories from when the show was on air. I thought it was really great of Disney to bring the cast back for one great movie!

10. Miss Americana, dir. Lana Wilson

Like I said earlier, I'm not particularly a Taylor Swift fan. However, this movie may just covert me. I thought this was a great representation of women in the music industry, and an interesting look at Taylor and her fame throughout the years.

9. Happiest Season, dir. Clea DuVall

I loved this movie! I thought it was a lovely Christmas film. I did wish, however, was saw how Abby proposed to Harper in the end. But I was obsessed with Dan Levy's character, and he added a lot of funny and light-hearted humor to the film.

8. Bad Education, dir. Cory Finely

Now this, my friends, is cinema. This story and plot line had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I couldn't recommend this movie enough. It really made me miss movie theaters a lot when I was watching, I so wished I could've seen this on the big screen. Hugh Jackman's performance was spectacular.

7. Loop, dir. Erica Milson

This was a short film as a part of Pixar's "Spark Shorts" series. I think this was such an important and poignant film about acceptance and understanding. The animation was beautiful, and autism was perfectly depicted. I am forever grateful for Pixar.

6. The Prom, dir. Ryan Murphy

The music is what makes this film as amazing as it is. I was obsessed, I couldn't stop dancing and singing. Even though it doesn't entirely do the Broadway musical justice, it's fun for the entire family. I loved the bright colors and energetic atmosphere.

5. Soul, dir. Pete Docter

I've been waiting for this movie for so long, and it definitely didn't disappoint! The visuals were outstanding, and the concept was so unique and incredible. I'm always a sucker for any Pixar filn, but this one definitely blew me out of the water.

4. Hamilton, dir. Thomas Kail

I watched Hamilton a couple of months ago on Broadway, and it was absolutely breathtaking. I've been a fan for over 4 years! I love this music and everything about it. As much as I understood why they censored the cursing, I felt like it added so much power to the music, so it kind of made my heart drop watching that. 

3. The One and Only Ivan, dir. Thea Sharrock

This movie is based off of a book that I loved growing up, so this movie has a lot of sentimental value to me. It was so outstandingly executed, and I was in love with the score. The CGI was also excellent!

2. Ben Platt: Live from Radio City Music Hall, dir. Alex Timbers, Sam Wrench

If you have never heard or listened to Ben Platt's voice, you're doing something wrong. He's so immensely talented and captivating to watch on stage. I adored the set list, the set design, and everything in-between. Nothing will ever make me feel the way I felt seeing "Ease My Mind" performed live.

1. Onward, 2020

OH MY! This is definitely one of the softest, joyous movies I have ever seen. Pixar will always have such a special place in my heart, and the fact that the wonderful Tom Holland voices the main character is just the cherry on top!

Comments

Popular Posts